Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Moon Phases

     Did your child check out the moon tonight?  It's clear and bright.  We have started studying the solar system and will be learning all about the phases of the moon.  I thought it would be fun to try to chart the moon each evening to watch for the pattern in how it changes.  Our science word of the day was constellation.  I taught them this cool phrase:  My Very Excellent Mother Just Sent Us Nine Pizzas.  See if they remember what it's for.  We will be staring a little home research report on a planet next week, so get ready for that.

     Our math word of the day was congruent.  I was singing it all afternoon.  We had to identify congruent shapes today.  Did you get an analog clock yet (the one with the hands)?  We will be reading them soon enough and I know you want to practice with your child at home.  :-)

     We started a class book this week.  It's a Jigsaw Jones mystery.  We've been learning some "sick" snowboarding lingo from the book.  I wonder who stole the lucky bandana?  We also read two Jan Brett books today.  I just love The Mitten, clearly the kids did to.

     We did some ZIPPY writing today and graded our assignments as a class.  It was fun.  You may be interested to know that the students were handing out 4's like crazy.  I was more of a 3 girl.  You can ask your child what that means.  The good news is that from here on out our writing will have bold beginnings and zippy words.

     Remember that Friday is a half day!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment