Wednesday, September 9, 2015

First Day

     We did it, we made it through the first day.  I think it was a huge success.  I'm basing that solely on the fact that nobody (including me) cried!

     Our day was jam packed.  As soon as students entered, they chose a desk and completed a coloring page as we all got settled.  Then we unpacked our backpacks.  The kids were so excited for DESKS!!!  Who knew that would be so cool?  I never dreamed desks of your own could be so exciting........they loved them and I LOVED their enthusiasm for them.  We then met on the rug to read First Day Jitters.  It's a story about Sarah's first day of school with a surprise ending.  Ask your child to tell you about it.  We also made a class chart of first graders.

     We then played a game to get to know each other.  It was lots of fun.  That lead us to snack and recess.  After recess, we made a book and practiced reading it to ourselves and a partner.
Be sure to have your child read it to you.

     We then wrote our names and ABC's on a special paper that will go in "their" folder.  I told them this is a special folder for them that I will give them on the last day of school so they can see how much they have grown and learned.

     After that, it was time for lunch.  We practiced a fire drill and emphasized how important it is to be quiet during one to ensure we hear any directions from the firefighters.  To end the day, we completed an apple core project where we wrote our opinions of the first day.

     All in all, it was a super fun day with a terrific group of kids.  I enjoyed every minute of it (although I could have done without the heat).   Ask your child how I helped them cool down.
   
     FYI:  This Friday is gym, dress appropriately.

   

1 comment: