Sunday, September 20, 2015

First Full Week

   
      The first full week was lots of fun and I think we are all getting  into the new routine.      We did a lot of reading.  We read the big book Lunch by Denise Flemming and completed lots of activities to go along with it.    In this story, a hungry mouse does a lot of eating.  We created a chart sequencing the foods Mouse ate and their colors.  We created charts of foods that are specific colors.   On another day, we identified the nouns from the story.  We extended that by creating a noun chart of our favorite things.  Mrs. Maloney even added her favorite person~Mr. Maloney.  We then created a favorite thing noun book.

     I started to read The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn.  It is the MOST ADORABLE story of a raccoon, Chester, who is nervous about starting school so his mom kisses his hand and it spreads love all he way to the whiskers on his mask.  This book is so cute that my heart just fills with so much love that my eyes tear up when I read it (that how explained it to the kids~I'm such a softie) so I stopped reading and Ms. Smith our classroom neighbor and ELL teacher came over and finished it.  Well, it seems I'm not the only softie.  We passed around the tissue box as Mrs. Smith finished the story.  Later in the week, we read A Pocket Full of Kisses by the same author.

     We also read Pete the Cat.  He is one groovy cat who was "rocking in his school shoes".  We will read more stories about him.  They are lots of fun.







     We have been practicing correct letter formation and identifying consonants, vowels and the sounds they make.  We played some "games" with popsicle stick sight words.  We wrote about ourselves and have been making partners of 10 (1+9, 2+8, 3+7 etc).  Ask your child about the rainbow I drew and the colored number on the bottom.   I brought in some shoes and used them to encourage picking a book that is the perfect fit, a book that interests you and you can successfully read.  I used shoes of different sizes and purposes to demonstrate not every shoe "book" is the perfect fit for everybody and that it A-OK.

looks a little like my bedroom floor :-(
ten partner game

thought football fans would like this picture from my son's soccer tourney
   

No comments:

Post a Comment