Monday, December 3, 2012

Science Guy

     We had a special assembly today.  Keith the science guy came.  He was wonderful.  He cracked a bull whip, the first tool to break the sound barrier.  He suffocated a candle, showed (faux) scat from different animals.  The kids loved that.  He dissected an owl pellet.  We got to see the bones and of course the best was saved for last.  He made slime.  This is definitely on my agenda of things to do.  I just need to find time to find the ingredients.  FUN FUN!

     It's the first week of December and we had a VERY SPECIAL guest visit our class.  He was hanging out in my marker basket.  Be sure to ask your child who it was.

     You may have noticed a change in our spelling list and homework.  We are going to spend another week on Anansi.  Our spelling words coincide with our reading series, so if I stall in reading, we have no spelling.  I thought it would be fun to create a math word spelling test.  Hopefully your child can explain all those words to you.  These words won't be found in spelling city.  As far as the homework goes, you can thank my son Derek for the easier packet.  He and I had a knock down drag out last week about finishing homework and doing it correctly.  I was trying to explain he had one wrong answer and OF COURSE I didn't know what I was talking about because "that's not how his teacher does it".  I further tried to explain that I teach SECOND GRADE and clearly SECOND GRADE teachers know more than FIRST GRADE teachers.  He wasn't having it.  It reinforced to me how DREADFUL homework can be.  So hopefully you will now find our packets more user friendly.  You are welcome.

     We didn't start a new chapter book last week like I had hoped.  I hope to start a STINK book this week.  He is the main character in a series of chapter books.  Although, I have only read one, it was adorable.  I know the kids will love it.  Stink and his friends are on a mission to find homes for over 100 hamsters.

     Remember, tomorrow is a half day and Wednesday is WALK TO SCHOOL DAY.   There is a big push to get another class to steal our trophy.  I'm not worried.  That baby is OURS.

     Next Friday, Dec. 14th, is our holiday program in the afternoon.  Mark your calendars.

No comments:

Post a Comment